Following on from yesterday’s post I can report that, with some help from our neighbour, I have successfully disentangled the pumpkin plant from the fence. We ended up having to cut away some of the plant but managed to avoid removing any of the actual pumpkins.
The neighbour was even kind enough to return the big pumpkin that had been growing on his side of the fence. All 11 kilos of it.
I also planted courgettes earlier this year and we harvested the first one yesterday. It’s a pretty decent size although I haven’t gotten around to weighing it.
While weeding and clearing, we discovered this little lady helping to protect the plants.
After some searching, I think she’s a wasp spider (Argiope bruennichi) and I know that she sent me down an internet rabbit hole for much of the evening. They are fascinating wee beasties.
I tried not to disturb her too much but all of our banking about was enough to send her into hiding at some point during the day. I hope she comes back, though, as she provides a cheerfully colourful way of keeping my vegetables pest free.